Sunday, August 28, 2011

As Soon As She Opened Her Mouth: Double Journal Entry #2

Click HERE to view the article.

"But I also know that whether we interpret differences among children-or adults-as deficit or difference depends primarily on our preconceptions, attitudes toward, and stereotypes we hold toward the individual children's communities and cultures."

Choosing one quote from this expansive article was actually rather difficult, the article needs to be taken as a whole. The quote above comes from the middle of the article, and explains a sad realization about the education system. It doesn't seem fair to me that we don't treat all children fairly and challenge each of them regardless of what differences they have. Every student will not be raised the same with the same culture and experiences and that's just reality, but that is an opportunity for everyone to learn from each other. Its not the teachers place to decide the student's fate. Culture and community aside it happens just in the smaller differences between students. Boys are stereotyped to be trouble makers in the classroom, and teachers do nothing to ensure that the student will get involved in his learning. Students with learning differences in some schools only go to school, they are never challenged to overcome their differences. I think the real purpose of reading the article is to stay aware of the issue. Teachers should get to know each student and tailor an experience that will challenge and engage students on a level that will make them lifelong learners.

HERE is an activity that can be used in a classroom to make students understand stereotypes and their affect. Although as an elementary teacher the activity is too deep, it can be adjusted to fit any classroom. In class we have talked a lot about the teacher's role in stereotypes, how it affects education, and how to prevent it. Another crucial part of that role is to educate students to help eliminate stereotyping.

Purcell Gates, V. (2002). As soon as she opened her mouth. In L. Delpit & J.K Dowdy (Eds.), In The skin that we speak: An anthology of essays on language culture and power. (Print: Anthology)

Plous, S. The Effect of Stereotyping: What is in a Label?. Understanding Prejudice, Retrieved From: http://www.understandingprejudice.org/teach/activity/labels.htm

5 comments:

  1. I really like how you included an activity that can be used in the classroom, as well as commented on the article. I also like how you commented on the article as a whole, rather than bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that the main purpose of this article to maintain awareness of the issues that students face. I also agree that teachers must do their best to examine each student's needs individually, and encourage students to learn from each others different life experiences. As teachers, we must help students to understand that these experiences are valuable.

    Great idea finding a classroom activity as the additional resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Culture does have a big impact on how a student will develop. Teacher's need to realize that student's need to be viewed as an individual, not just a student in a class. We need to encourage students to listen to each other and learn what each others experiences. Also, the resource of you classroom activity was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you for sharing that activity! I might use it with future classes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I remember the boys were always the ones that caused the trouble. I worked at an after-school program, and some teachers would hear a student complain, and that teacher would automatically berate the nearest boy who was known for mischief.

    I really like your line, “Teachers should get to know each student and tailor an experience that will challenge and engage students on a level that will make them lifelong learners.” Very accurate and rather inspiring, I think.

    I am going to save this activity in my archives as well. I think that would be a wonderfully educational activity for any grade level.

    ReplyDelete