Should students be allowed to create multimedia project instead of writing papers in school (at least some of the time)?
Initially I thought negatively about the idea. Writing is an insight into both critical thinking and communication. Students need to know how to organize their ideas for another person to understand them and build on these thoughts. While I still believe that writing should be a required part of the curriculum, and the skills still need to be taught, substituting an essay with a multimedia project has many benefits.
In the video, "The Power of One" a student had to be able to demonstrate his understanding of the subject in more than words, but in music and pictures by making it orderly, attractive, and cohesive. This could possibly take the place of a report, although I'm not convinced it would be worth the same as a 15-page report. Yes, it does still take time, effort and research; however it isn't of the same nature of a report, and in 15 pages a reports says so much more.
Multimedia productions are a fast way to convey a complex idea, but they also cover many of the NETS standards, one of these is being "Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity". Within this standard teachers are to engage thier students in both critical thinking and creativity. As seen in "The Power of One" this student had to chose what to say and how to say it to show that one vote, one person truly can make the difference.
With the rising accessibility of multimedia programs, and the high interest of the younger generations, Multimedia projects may come as a vital part in student learning.
I agree that multimedia creation should be balanced with traditional print literacy approaches! I think good photo stories require the same amount of critical thinking as good essays...but different skills are required for the production of each. I think you are right to teach both in your future classroom!
ReplyDelete